Thursday, October 25, 2007

 

Aways moving on

The excitement died down for us kids and seemed to pick up for Mother. Though she was nervous all the time, we never knew if she was excited or going to have a spell. It seems as though she and Daddy talked it over and over about her going to California and she was going to do what she wanted to even tho they might not agree on things.

"Well," she said to Daddy, "we could sit here and starve or one of us could go somewhere and find work."

Well, there was no reasoning with her once she had her mind made up so one night she got a flour sack and put some clothes in it, some for her and Buddy and the baby, and they started off. I guess she and Daddy divided the money, I really can't remember for sure, but Mother took Buddy and said, "Come on now, you have to help me this time." They went to the freight yard and Buddy helped her into an empty car with the baby and they found some straw in a corner and curled up for the night. I guess Mother knew which way the train was going because the next morning they were somewhere near Chowchilla, California.

What happened next I wasn't there to see. I know we girls cried almost all night for two nights and I think Mickey cried most. She was Mother's girl.
We waited for a letter and every day Daddy went to town to the post office to General Delivery and no letter. I will publish this now before I lose it.

Bye Shike, Prattling on...


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]