Saturday, March 29, 2008

 

Memories Fade So Fast...

Memories fade so fast any more and I'm sure the way I'm going this blog will outlive my memories. But on to the road again.

The last time I was here we had gotten a ride in a big black car with all of us sitting in the back seat and Daddy telling mickey to hold her head up and look out the window so she wouldn't get sick. I guess she didn't because the big car finally got to their turning off spot and we got out--- on the road again. We walked this time till it began to get pretty dark and we were hungry as usual. Daddy said tomorrow we would find some food for all of us.
The road was hot and we were tired so when we saw an old boxcar over on an old piece of railroad track, Daddy said we would go look in there and see what it looked like so we went off the road to the boxcar. Daddy looked in it and said it looked pretty good . It would be our castle for the night. I asked what we would do if someone found us in there and Daddy said no one would so he boosted us all up in there one by one then he climbed in. We were so glad to be out of the sun we just wanted to run up and down the car and shout but Daddy said we had to be still because someone might not like it if they saw us in there.

It got dark fast and soon we were getting cold. Daddy cuddled Joan up in front of him to keep her warm and Mickey and I were getting colder all the time. Daddy said to turnover and get up against his back and it would keep us warm. I scrunched up against his back and Mickey turned her back to me and I put my arms around her so she was soon warm, too. I guess we were all warm because, when we woke up, it was daylight.

We waited till it got pretty light and Daddy said it was time to go. "Daddy," I said," We all got to go p-- bad so he said for all of us to go with Mickey back behind the boxcar and go p-- so we all went with Mickey
and went p--.

When we came back we all wanted to know when we were going to get something to eat.
Daddy said to just wait awhile and we would eat. The houses were getting thicker all the time and we were nearing Bakersfield,Ca. We stopped at a service station and got to wash up and get a drink.

Daddy asked the service station man where we could get some food and the man told him and we started walking again. By then we really were hungry. Daddy kept asking along the way where the food place was.

Prattling on to the next post...

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]